Monday, February 6, 2012

Don't leave!

Mental illness is definitely a journey of ups and downs, successes and failures, joy and heartache. I often heard that people with mental illness get on medication, feel better and so decide to go off the medications and relapse. I never understood that. Why would someone go off the medications that were making them feel well?
Now I understand. First of all, most medications have side effects and sometimes those side effects can seem worse than the original problem. Second, at least in my case, once I started to feel better, I forgot how bad things were in the beginning, in my pre-medication days. I knew I became suicidal, but I thought that might have been due to circumstances, or hormones, or other such things. I forgot what it was like to live with a fog in my head most of the time. I forgot what it was like to not be able to take myself seriously. I forgot what it was like to strain my friendships to the point that some of them broke because I was not a healthy, functional friend.
I suffer from depression and anxiety. I have all of my adult life and have finally realized that this is due in large part to a chemical imbalance in my brain. I was put on medication and started doing much better. I am weaning off the medication and struggling again immensely. Why wean off then? In my case, it's because the side effects of the medication I was on (Effexor) at the doses I needed were not something I wanted to live with for the rest of my life. I am weaning off Effexor and trying Pristiq instead. We shall see what happens with that. I am hoping and praying for good results.
To those of you who are reading this who are my friends and my family, those of you who are walking beside me through this, I know it's a drag. I know it stinks when I always need you, when day after day after day after day, I call or text you in tears. I know it can be burdensome when I'm constantly asking for prayers, but I need you right now. There will come a time when I will be back on my feet and I will be able to be there for you. If the medicine works as we hope, that will only be a couple weeks from now. But today, I'm sick. I know that the texts/emails/facebook posts may seem like attention seeking and maybe sometimes they are, but to be honest, I put them out because I'm scared. It's dark in here, in my head, and I need you to tell me that it's going to be ok. I need you to remind me that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and I need to know, repeatedly, time after time after time, that when I get to the end of the tunnel and the light is shining again, I won't be standing there alone because you are willing to stick through this with me.
I don't like me right now. I don't like living in this head of mine and trust me when I say that if I could change it, I would. But I can't. There is nothing I can do to speed up this process. So please, stick by me. Understand that the real me, the healthy me will be back and please don't leave.

12 comments:

  1. Wow....your words are sometimes exactly how I feel. It's very uncanny. Kudos to you for putting it all out on the table and taking that leap of faith. I'm nowhere near that at this point and time. I'm on Citalopram and it's been helpful so far. Second round at a different medication. Here's to hoping both of our meds are spot on this time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelli, honestly, when I first got out of the hospital after my 72-hour suicide watch, I was very open with what happened because I wanted people to tell me it was ok, that I was ok. But as I shared about it, I had several people tell me how much they could relate to what I was going through and I realized that by telling my story, I might be able to help someone not feel quite so alone. And I also realized that in recounting my experiences and what it is that I need in my dark times, I might in some way be able to help people who don't know how to be there for a struggling friend/family member.
      I'm sorry that you have to struggle with this ugly disease too, but you are one of the toughest people I know. You will get through this and come out shining on the other side! You'll see :-).

      Delete
  2. You will never be alone, Becca. I love you, oodles and always! Hang in there. ((HUG))

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't need to apologize. You've got nothing to be ashamed of in this situation. We love you, even more in this case, when there's nothing you can do about it! We're in this with you in whatever way we can be.
    (Your weakness, His strength--dynamite combination! He's in the tunnel with you...and He's the light at the end of it, as well.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad, I like that. "Your weakness, His strength--dynamite combination!" I'm going to hold to that. Thank you for loving me through this. Love you!

      Delete
  4. Hang in there sis....
    The darker the night ....
    THE BRIGHTER THE LIGHT!!!!!!!! GOD IS HEWING YOU IN A GRAND WAY TO TOUCH MANY SO ....CHIN UP! :) ......I KNOW EASY FOR ME TO SAY BUT ...PRAYER DOES WORK!
    OH ....P.S. ....HELP IS ON THE WAY .....GOD WILL COME THRU FOR H
    E IS FAITHFULL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, D. (btw, on a side note, whenever I think Deano, Deano, Dinosaur, I hear Gabby's little sing-song voice in my head and it makes me laugh. I think I'll start calling you triple D for short ;-).)
      Speaking of prayers working, thanks for yours. You have been a faithful prayer support for me through all this and I am ever so grateful to you. Thank you! You're the best big brother I could ever want :-P

      Delete
  5. I am married to an amazing woman... who amazes me daily at how transparent she can be when I would hide in shame and isolate myself in the same situation... I love you dear....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you too, Babe. You have soaked up more tears that I ever thought possible, and still you're here by my side. I couldn't ask for a better man. You are truly my other half. I love you more than words can say. Muah!

      Delete
  6. Becca, please know that no matter how empty and alone you feel, we are there holding your hand and hugging you - even in long distance. What I know about my own anxiety is that I have absolutely no perspective, I'm trapped in my own delusion. I also feel alone and broken. But you should know that you are braver than anyone I've ever met and stronger, too. Don't be afraid to depend on us. We need you, too. We love you and need to be there for you. We need for you to feel our love. Both of my shoulders are reserved for you. You are amazing! Even if you don't feel like it right now, it doesn't cease to be true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel. I completely agree with you when you say "I have absolutely no perspective, I'm trapped in my own delusion." EXACTLY! That's exactly how I feel and I HATE it!! I really appreciate your undying support. Love you tons!

      Delete