Thursday, September 29, 2011

Victory over the Darkness

A friend of mine recommended a book for me to read. It's called Victory over the Darkness, by Neil T. Anderson. One of the problems I've been very aware of in my life is that my life does not reflect the peace and joy one would expect from someone who truly believes what the Bible says. I think this is due in large part to the fact that even though, or maybe because, I have spent all 33 years of my life in the church, reading my Bible and memorizing verses, I am actually confused about what exactly the Bible teaches. Many times, I will think "I'm saved by grace. Can't earn it. But if I mess up repeatedly, a lightning bolt will come down from heaven and zap me into oblivion." or "Jesus saved me, which means I shouldn't have anymore weaknesses. I am fully aware of the fact that I'm messed up, which means I must not really love God as much as I say I do. So I must be a fraud." And I become confused about who I really am, who God is, and what His view is of me.
At the end of the first chapter of Victory over the Darkness, Neil Anderson lists a plethora of verses dealing with who I am in Christ. I looked each and everyone of them up and have, in the last hour and a half, received more healing than I have in the 6 therapy sessions I have had to date. If you are struggling to remember who you are in Christ, here's the list:
http://www.ficm.org/index.php?command=textwhoamiinchrist
I would encourage you to take the time to read through them. If you click on the reference on the site above, it will take you straight to the verse. You don't even have to own a Bible to do this. It takes awhile, but it's definitely worth an hour of your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment