Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Olive Garden interview

I had a great interview at Olive Garden this afternoon! Well, interviewS actually. I got to the restaurant a few minutes early and waited for the manager to come out. While I was waiting, I was tried really hard not to look too nervous so I grabbed the only thing within arms reach to read. Did you know that Olive Garden's desserts have a heck of a lot of calories in them? A heck of alot!! But, oh do those pictures look delicious! But I digress. Back to the interview.
As I waited, the music overhead started playing "It's a new day, it's a new dawn, it's a new life!" and I had to smile because it is, indeed, a new day in my life. A new day of change, and hope and, well, something other than taking care of children and cleaning the house! The manager came out and started asking me questions. Normal, run of the mill interview questions, like why do you want to work here? What experience do you have? What days are you available, that kind of thing. She was very friendly and I quickly relaxed. As she was asking the questions, she kept slipping. She would say things like: "You will...I mean, if you are hired, you will..." It made me feel good because she was already seeing me as having been hired. When she finished her questions, she said that normally, they would schedule me to come back for another interview with the general manager, but she wanted to see if he would see me right away instead. I waited awhile, then she came out and said Felip was going to give me a tour of the place and that I could ask him any questions I wanted. I didn't know this was part of the application process. It seemed more like orientation to me, but I found out afterwards that he was filling out a questionnaire on me, about how I responded to the tour. Nice! I'm glad I asked a lot of questions, because I saw one of the answers he put was that my questions indicated I knew what I was talking about. Haha! Who knew my head full of endless questions would pay off?!
I waited quite awhile after the tour and finally the general manager came to talk to me. Boy was I nervous! The man didn't crack a smile. I was so intimidated I kept stumbling over my words. At one point, he said: "What are you doing right now?" I looked at him kind of funny, laughed and before I could catch myself, out came the sarcasm. "Um, interviewing with you! Ooooh, you mean job-wise? I've been a homemaker for 8 years and I'm ready to get back in the workplace, now that my kids are older and in school." Still, no smile. GULP. Darn sarcastic streak! Then he asked me how long I'd worked at Ruby Tuesdays (8 months) and Chilis (a year and a half). He asked me which one I liked better and why. I said Chilis because they had better teamwork and then again, open mouth, insert foot, because the managers at Chilis knew how to do business but have fun, but the manager at Ruby Tuesdays was really crabby. One of those "oops. I didn't actually say that, did I?" moments. He finished asking me questions, then said that he had two transfers that he needed to deal with, and that he needed to see how much of a need for servers they actually had because business wasn't up as much as he expected. But then he said: "We would really like to hire you on. You have a good personality. If our numbers allow it, we will hire you, but if not, we will get you in the next batch of servers we hire." Then he said: "It was nice meeting you.", actually SMILED and said: "and I'm not crabby all that often." Hahaha! Oh, my! I was so relieved!! So, he said if I don't hear from him by next Wednesday, they didn't have a need for another server, but if they do have a need, I will probably hear from them before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment