Friday, April 27, 2012

Today's blog post is especially for those of you who suffer from a mental illness with me, because today I wanted to give up, as I know you have too, countless times. Today, life was just too heavy, too pointless, too much trouble. One pain after another. One heartache after another and I know you know what I'm talking about. Laughing was too much trouble. Chin up was too much work. Why struggle to get through this crisis when there will just be another one waiting for me around the corner?
But then I realized something. I am not alone. You and I, we don't walk this road of mental illness by ourselves. We walk it with hundreds of thousands of others who also feel like their cries are going into a vacant sea of nothingness, that the pain of each and every heartache is falling on deaf ears. And because of those unheard cries, we need to pick ourselves up, take that next step, and HEAR THEM.
Let me tell you two things that stand out to me about my hospital stay a couple weeks ago. Two experiences amongst hundreds. The first one was my Auntie. Well, she's not my biological auntie, but in my heart, she's just as much my auntie as anyone could ever be. I had been in the hospital a few days and she came to see me. She walked in my room and the first thing she did was hold me and I wept. I was smelly and stinky and gross from not having showered in days, but she held me tight. She stayed for about an hour, she told me afterwards, but what I remember of her entire visit was that she held me and let me cry.
The second memory I have is that of the charge nurse. Sadly, I don't even remember his name, but anytime I would go into convulsions, I would curl into a ball and he would gently rub my side until the convulsions stopped. All he said the entire time was that it was going to be ok. That's all. No advice. No panic. Just a quiet touch letting me know it was going to be ok. And of all of the instances of that horrible experience, those two stand out as the ones that meant the most to me. Because of the one I felt the love of family and because of the other, I felt the love of a perfect stranger. Both gave me the strength to go on.
So if you don't have the strength to get up and go for yourself today, get up and go for that person who needs to know it's going to be ok. Get up and go for that person two years from now who thinks no one can possibly understand that roller coaster ride they are on, only to find out that you understand exactly how they feel because you've been there and you SURVIVED! We admire people who become seriously injured and overcome. Let's become those stories of inspiration ourselves. Let's be the paraplegic who teaches himself to walk again. Let's be the person with throat cancer who wins American Idol. Let's be the person with a mental illness who shows others what it means to hope again.

No comments:

Post a Comment