Thursday, October 20, 2011

Eight weeks

Eight weeks. Eight weeks ago, I was locked up in a psychiatric ward on a 72 hour suicide watch. Eight weeks ago today, I had lost my will to fight and my desire to live. Eight weeks ago today, my world as I knew it changed forever.
It's been a rough road. A road of heartache, shame and brokenness. A road of panic, darkness and depression. A road of rejection, uncertainty, and fear. But here's some of what I learned. Through all of the pain, the tears and the heartache, I learned that my God loves me. Not a distant "I made you so I kind of have to love you" kind of love, but that He DEARLY loves me (Ephesians 5:1). I learned that no matter what people do to me, no matter who leaves me and forsakes me, God NEVER will, ever, no matter what. (Hebrews 13:5). I have also experienced Proverbs 18:24 first hand, that indeed, there are friends who stick closer than a brother. I now KNOW what it means to have this Treasure in jars of clay (2 Corinthians 4:7). And I know that I know that I know that there is NO condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:28) and that includes certified nut jobs like ME!
Because I ended up in the looney bin, I learned not to hang my head in shame. Because I felt the shame of the psych ward, I discovered the pride of being a daughter of the High King. Because I hit rock bottom, I learned to sore on wings like eagles (Isaiah 40:31).
While I never in a million years would have asked God to put me through what I've been through, you couldn't pay me a million dollars to give up what I've learned through the experience. I now know who I am in Christ, and that, my friends, is worth every single tear I shed and every heartache I felt. I would go through it all all over again if I had to because there is nothing in the world that can compare with knowing the love of my Savior.

2 comments:

  1. There's an old hymn that my Mom and Dad sang often that says (among other things) "It will be worth it all, when we see Jesus....One glimpse of His dear face, all sorrow will erase..." Though the song was focusing on the future, I think the truth is also for the present: when we see Him, even in our weakness, all the difficulties are worth it because He is worth it. (All the sorrow doesn't get erased in the present life, so I guess we'll have to wait for that part.)
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete