Monday, October 10, 2011

A poem


You said you loved me once
by Rebecca Herring

You said you loved me once.
Why?
Was it because you thought I was someone I wasn't?
Was it because you thought I would become someone I didn't?

You said you'd stick by me forever.
Why?
Was it because you didn't know the road would get this rough?
Was it because you didn't realize where it would end up taking us?

You said you looked up to me once.
Why?
Was it because you thought I would never fall?
Was it because you put me on a pedestal too narrow for my feet?

I told you sisters forever.
I told you friends into eternity.
And I meant every word.
I meant every hug.
I meant every laugh, and every look, and I miss you.

Someday, perhaps, our healing will be complete.
Someday, perhaps, you and I will again walk this life together.
And in the meantime, I will pray and hold you dearly in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment